Friday, October 8, 2010

It Gets Better

“Dan Savage is well known for his biphobia, his transphobia, his fatphobia and his sexism/misogyny”. From this line alone I can see where this blog post is going. Dan Savage is the tokenized white gay man, who tells white America that things get better, and they believe him and say “TO ALL PEOPLE WHO IDETIFY AS GAY LOOK AT DAN SAVAGE HE DID IT…AND SO CAN YOU “! Dan Savage is the ideal white American man who pulls himself by the boot strap and over comes every obstacle society throws at him. But we know as a fact things don’t always work out that way. “It is not surprising to me in the least that he has become a media darling because he is a white, gender-normative gay man, and because he says lots of offensive things in the name of dominant ideologies”. And I honestly feel like once white America finds someone within a minority group that opposes all dominant ideologies, and agrees with the norms, and or has a miracle story of how they made it out of the ghettos,  they get full coverage. White America always wants people within minority groups to feel as if what they’re going through is not that bad.

“Many of us do not just have ONE strike against us and do not have economic security to fall back upon, or white, able-bodied privilege”. I am Black, I am a woman, I am fat, and I am in the working poor population, just to name a few strikes society has placed on me. And the 1st three strikes are not something I can hide, nor do I try to hide. Dan Savage forgets about everybody else and just thinks of himself and his privileges as a wealth white gay Christian family background. What about the LGBTQ++ community as a whole including people of color, what about issues around classism, fatphobia….. “Every single day, I face transphobia in this society.  And fatphobia.  And classism.  Every single day.  It is nightmarish.  In many ways, it has gotten worse.  In other ways, it has stayed the same.  In very, very few ways, has it gotten better.  And I know for lots of other people who deal with multiple identities and multiple oppressions, it has not gotten better”.

No comments:

Post a Comment